Monday, January 09, 2006

Salon.com News | The atheist

Oh Mr Dawkins, please!

I am delighted Dawkins is having air time to attack religion. But I wish he were a little less naive than this.
The quote below looks like the most innocent believer in some kind of unacknowledged "God" of progresss or scientific advance.
The Bush dark age is not something we can suppose will just go away. These morons have atomic bombs at their disposal.


Salon.com News | The atheist: "Still, so many people resist believing in evolution. Where does the resistance come from?

It comes, I'm sorry to say, from religion. And from bad religion. You won't find any opposition to the idea of evolution among sophisticated, educated theologians. It comes from an exceedingly retarded, primitive version of religion, which unfortunately is at present undergoing an epidemic in the United States. Not in Europe, not in Britain, but in the United States.

My American friends tell me that you are slipping towards a theocratic Dark Age. Which is very disagreeable for the very large number of educated, intelligent and right-thinking people in America. Unfortunately, at present, it's slightly outnumbered by the ignorant, uneducated people who voted Bush in.

But the broad direction of history is toward enlightenment, and so I think that what America is going through at the moment will prove to be a temporary reverse. I think there is great hope for the future. My advice would be, Don't despair, these things pass."

No comments: