Saturday, April 16, 2005

Archbishop accuses Britain's parents of child 'abuse' - Britain - Times Online

Archbishop accuses Britain's parents of child 'abuse' - Britain - Times Online

Rowan and Jane were presenting something on children's reading at the Oxford Literary festival this week. I missed it, though. I am frustrated that I have not found the original text of his attack on parents. If I find it I will write about it.

For now I will return to my parenting theme. Back to school on Monday with us thinking of removing our children. School discipline is big news for the conservatives. I should approach David Cameron about his plans for alternatives.

If a head cannot keep discipline things are beyond repair. I never thought I would say such words, as a libertarian. But I am not prepared to have my child's front teeth pushed in during play time.

"A fish stinks from the head" was the observation of the business Consultancy I used to work with. They were thinking of Directors. I am thinking of school right now.

Things were good in the playground when this head arrived. R used to take care of a group of first years. Yesterday two of them came calling. They still miss R. They wanted to share with her that one has bought a pet rabbit and called it after R. Now I am really happy about that. R is turning into a really happy positive child just when you might expect teenage tantrums to be setting in. We have just had a couple of days away in Wales, climbing mountains while G took the boys to see their grand parents.

Today the first years are drawn into games that make British bull dogs seem tame. The head officially banned it after I complained. I doubt if it has stopped. I will let you know.

I have recorded interviews with J and C about their move to this town and school. I may have to use them in complaining against the school.

Meanwhile H has her Cambridge College place at Hughes Hall.

G will start as a Cambridge examiner again very soon.

Almost 2 weeks have passed since I addressed the Governors panel. No response yet.

The rubric for the panel meeting was to move towards a resolution. But the head chose to harden her stance admitting no error at all and even adding insult to injury, by gratuitously adding to her statement that they had to open the windows after meeting G because the smell was so bad.

This was particularly unpleasant as G was not present to contradict this fantastic impression.

The Governors will have assumed she is a wino.

I cannot recall all that was said at the meeting sadly. One thing sticks in the memory.

"Telling someone what is being done is consultation."

I ask how any head could defend that abuse of the English language.

But maybe this is the truth of Blairy England.

1984 has been and gone. New Labour New Speak.

Peace is War.

I will finish with the Archbishop. It has been a couple of years since he came round to tea with his wife and kids. It is time I went round and chatted with him about my book.

If reports are right then it is the work culture that he feels leaves children abused and neglected. With both of us at home spending a lot of time with our children it is not us he has a problem with.

No comments: