Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Social and Educational Care UK

We went to view our file at Oxon Social Care yesterday.

The page-full of initial notes on possible neglect and abuse, based on the school's assessment has disappeared and been replaced by an almost empty one. We did not object. There are limits to my energy. My observations are recorded here publicly, at least. Hopefully, the offending notes have been destroyed. I still have an audio-file based on those notes, though. They were all things the social worker felt he needed to check out, based on a worse case scenario from the schools referral form. I will never forget the outrage this caused us.

All the reports from the three social care staff are very positive about us.
However, the school's original report is still there on file. I want the outcome of my complaints against the school put onto this file, which is due for closure now.

Social Care judge us to provide "good diet, clothing, and accommodation, a loving home, affectionate parenting, excellent access to books, toys and good social contacts. The children have a good social situation".

I must repeat that this was an inappropriate referral.

If these facts are now established, and they are, on what basis could the head claim a lack of even basic care and potential neglect? She left blank the section on absences from school, the key criterion for social exclusion. It would have looked very odd putting the truth there, that attendance was over 99%

There is a very serious case for the school to answer. If a head can seek to denigrate people as capable as we are, what has she been able to do with poor young inarticulate parents?

How much snow does she imagine on other peoples roof tops?

I met an ex-parent and member of staff at the school who had left the school and taken her children away to another local school after finding this head impossible. "If you displeased her she would not speak to you for days," she said. I also spoke to her children, who are very pleased with the move.

It was open day at school for C last night. He was assessed as level 5 in everything, and now he has become the social centre of the class. Pity the teacher is unwilling to set any more home work. G is covering that.

It is nine days since I submitted my complaint. I have not heard anything, officially, in response to it yet.

No comments: