Monday, February 28, 2005

BBC NEWS | Politics | Rekindling the Labour love affair

BBC NEWS | Politics | Rekindling the Labour love affairThe spirit of the father


I dreamed of my father two nights ago.

In the dream I heard noises in the house and went to investigate. There he was. He was an oldish man; just standing there. I saw him. That is all. We did not speak.

Next day J asked to have rental movie. I chose HP and the prisoner of Askaban. It was not till later I remembered the powerful effect that film had had on me.

Years ago I read just a few pages from the book. They were pages where Harry sees his father take the form of a shining silver stag protecting him and apparently rescueing him.

In one of my web logs I wrote the other day about the spirit of fatherhood having found me in my middle age in a way it had not done when I was younger.

Watching the movie again the spirit father theme comes back to me.

There are too many fathers in my family tree, who are not so much stags as cuckoos who left eggs in others nests or no nest at all. The birds have flown. We can only guess who they might have been.

Now I have stepped in to rescue two boys, just as my father rescued my mother and her unborn child.

It is sad my own girls have no legitimated father.

H has made it to Cambridge. Oxford may have let us both down twice, but Cambridge are leaning over backwards to have her.

Meanwhile poor Charles cannot find a safe place to remarry, and Blair addresses the electorate as if it were a wife, and his relationship with us a rocky patch in the marriage. That is proto-dicatorship talk. Hail the All-Father!

Hail and hopefully fare well come 5 May.

Tracking back to the news it seems Mr Blair is not quite claiming we are married to him.

It seems this is only a love affair!

No comments: